Conveniently located in the
"Heart of Virginia", Appomattox invites you to experience the timeless, charming appeal of small town America.
For over 150 years, Appomattox has held the significance of being known as the place where our nation reunited in April of 1865. The Campaign, after which General Robert E. Lee surrendered the Army of Northern Virginia to General Ulysses S. Grant, effectively ended the American Civil War. Today, you can tour the village of Appomattox Court House, preserved as a National Historical Park, and view relics of the War at the American Civil War Museum. Continue your journey through history at Patrick Henry's Red Hill and the Carver Price Legacy Museum as you learn about the steps Appomattox took from civil war to civil rights.
While you are in town, uncover the secrets that Appomattox has to offer, from our Broadway-style outdoor theater to our sparkling lakes and hiking and biking trails. Unwind on the golf course, at a charming lavender farm or browse our charming Main Street shops like Baines Books & Coffee. Enjoy local artisans like Kat's Pottery at our semi-annual Markets. Kick back and relax at our brand new hotel or with a glass of Virginia wine at the landmark Babcock House. Whatever your interests, there is something to experience in Appomattox.
Spend the holidays in Appomattox!
Experience the warmth and charm of Downtown Appomattox as you stroll through local artisans and businesses, witness the living history of holiday time during the Civil War, enjoy fresh food and drink from local food trucks and restaurants, and appreciate live music from start to finish.
Come get a picture with Santa and other holiday favorites!
Best part-- it's all free thanks to the generous contributions of our sponsors!
1. Living History in Courthouse Square with Appomattox Court House National Historical Park, American Civil War Museum- Appomattox, Virginia State Parks, and Patrick Henry’s Red Hill
2. Merry Market in Courtland Field hosted by Appomattox Vintage and Artisans Market-- with live entertainment and special guests!
3. Santa's Village in Abbitt Park with Wolfbane Productions, Lend Me A Princess, and Appomattox County Public Library
4. Food Market in the School Board Parking Lot (list of food vendors coming soon!)
5. Whoville in Historic Downtown Appomattox and the Grinch, Cindy Lou Who, and Mayor of Whoville